Things that happen before December 25.
- Clean the house. Forget spring cleaning. Around here, cleaning before decorating/company comes is a must.
- Get the tree. I tried last year, but the family is just not quite ready for no tree.
- Put the lights on the tree with my signature up and down method (as opposed to round and round).
- Put the big container of ornaments near the tree, encouraging others to help decorate.
- Decorate the tree.
- Think about Christmas cards. Especially as cards begin to arrive.
- Curse the cards that arrive.
- Decide to send Happy New Year cards so our cards will really stand out.
- Email my sister for gift ideas.
- Start the online shopping.
- Plan the menu. We are a non-turkey Christmas dinner family.
- Make the homemade gifts.
- Winnow down the list of who will get homemade gifts.
- Remember that mom said no nuts this year.
- Email my sister again for gift ideas.
- Begin to panic a little about gifts, but still refuse to buy gift cards.
- Buy a few gift cards.
- Get the bedrooms ready for guests. Mother-in-law coming this year.
- Clear off the stacks of papers/unfiled bills, etc. on my desk in the room where my mother-in-law will be sleeping.
- Preferably put this paper detritus in the proper place, and not just in another random stack in another random room.
- Pray #20 happens.
- The porch/brick/floor in the basement task? What? It will not be done unless Santa loans me a few elves.
- Email my sister one more time. (ok, truth… there is usually some back and forth going on here… she’s gotten way better.) 🙂
- Is it too late for more online shopping?
- Christmas arrives, ready or not.